I am running out of reading material. Please comment if you have any more suggestions for ED books! xxx



Saturday 27 November 2010

Anorexia nervosa and bulimia: How to help

By Marilyn Duker and Roger Slade

The best literature I have read on the subject. Most of the book is worth quoting, and has very little waffle. I read it a while ago but one thing I remember it covering is the theory of Anorexia and Bulimia being 'two sides of the same coin.' I will have to re-read it sometime...

‘Few people appreciate the extent to which anorexia nervosa and bulimia can wreck family life, either by the way it erupts into physical violence to people or property, or by the suffocating tension it creates.’

‘So well in fact does she hide her feelings that the way her later bulimia or compulsive eating is related to her former anorexia nervosa is also hidden. Because the episodes appear to be discontinuous, few theoreticians perceive that there is a clear relationship between the two problems...’

‘...Moral rules... it is starvation that pushes these familiar values to almost unrecognizable extremes...’

And hence:

‘There is a cruel irony in the frequent assertion that anorexia nervosa is a mysterious illness...’

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Durham, County Durham, United Kingdom
(November 2010) > I am taking a year (or two) out of university to recover from an eating disorder; originally diagnosed as restricting anorexia 7 years ago, but has more recently morphed into BN non-purgeing type/ BED/ COE/ EDNOS / whatever you want to call it. I thought I would write a blog to give me a kind of project to work on, mainly giving an insight into the Eating Disorders books that I have read and any interesting articles/videos I find. However, there may be some updates on my life and thoughts once in a while. My quest is to understand these disorders, although I know the best I can do is to keep on researching xxx Update (2012): I have now returned to uni.

Followers

Pictures (not mine)

Tattoo one taken from:
http://paulhartrick.com/fairy-tattoos