I am running out of reading material. Please comment if you have any more suggestions for ED books! xxx



Wednesday 8 December 2010

Sensing the Self: Women's recovery from Bulimia

By Sheila M. Reindl

Okay, I reviewed this before I deleted everything from my blog and started afresh, but this time I will try and summarise it with less waffle.

It is a very long-winded read, but, if you collected together all the good bits that are scattered eveywhere, and made the book a fraction of the size, then it would be very useful.

A comment it makes on Bruch, who wrote 'The Golden Cage' (reviewed the other week):

‘(Bruch) relied upon what she called “the constructive use of ignorance” – that is, her willingness to learn from and with patients...’

‘Susan Sands points out that “many bulimic patients are expert at dissociation” and that bulimics “portray their bingeing episodes as one might describe a trance state, drug trip, or delirium...”

A patient - ‘”It is pretty angry... an angry thing to do, to make yourself vomit, or with force expel things that are inside your body...”’

To recover, Reindl states that the person must come to a point where she accepts that:

'...she was sick enough...had suffered long enough... had tried hard enough to recover alone, and that she mattered enough to be worthy of care.’

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing.
    I'm going to have to order this book & give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't reccomend actually buying it. It took me forever to motivate myself to get to the end, as is very repetetive. There are also a lot of direct transcripts, which can be quite tedious to read as they are so fragmented. Although if you scrape away all the padding and get to the bones (no pun intended), it has some very good points. I have got a word document containing all the quotes worth reading, if you wanted it x

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Durham, County Durham, United Kingdom
(November 2010) > I am taking a year (or two) out of university to recover from an eating disorder; originally diagnosed as restricting anorexia 7 years ago, but has more recently morphed into BN non-purgeing type/ BED/ COE/ EDNOS / whatever you want to call it. I thought I would write a blog to give me a kind of project to work on, mainly giving an insight into the Eating Disorders books that I have read and any interesting articles/videos I find. However, there may be some updates on my life and thoughts once in a while. My quest is to understand these disorders, although I know the best I can do is to keep on researching xxx Update (2012): I have now returned to uni.

Followers

Pictures (not mine)

Tattoo one taken from:
http://paulhartrick.com/fairy-tattoos